Friday, December 9, 2022

Quilt Number 300


Just before I started blogging I came up with a numbering system for my quilts. According to that numbering system, this is quilt number 300!  I made it for Quilts for Kids SLC.  This is my fabric pull.  The fabric for the four inch strips and binding came from my mom.  The backing came from my stash.  


The top has 17 different fabrics and was sewn together jelly roll race style.  (Funny thing is that quilt number 200 was sewn the same way for another donation quilt.)


I pieced the batting together from the leftover batting of the six quilts I quilted for Quilts for Kids SLC.  I always find it helpful to lay the batting pieces over the quilt top to make sure I have enough before zig zagging it together.   


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24.


It is quilted with loops and scattered hearts.  It is so much fun to quilt in rows this way.


Here is what the backing looks like after trimming it.  It is kinda wild, but cute.  


I sew the binding to the back of the quilt by machine first.  Then I have found it helpful to iron the binding flat before top stitching it to the front.  My wool pressing mats make this so easy because I am not fighting the weight of the quilt on an ironing board.  (I only iron the binding like this if I have a cotton backing. I don't when I have a minky backing.)


Here it is all finished.


I still need to wash it and get some more pictures.  But I love it.  Be prepared to see a lot more chunky race quilts made with my mother's fabric.  I have found that if I keep the quilts simple that I can make more of them.  

By the way, if I were to number my quilts now, I would do things a bit differently.  But I don't think it is worth changing it up now.  Have you counted or numbered your quilts?

XX,
Jasmine

3 comments:

  1. I've been counting my quilts as well. I'm working on quilt number 318 at the moment. I haven't really counted all the tiny mini quilts that I've made into that count. Congratulations on your 300th quilt and here is to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making so many beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 300 quilts!!! I pulled fabric last night to make one of these quilts. Hopefully I'll find time soon to put it together. I should go through my quilt logs and binders and count my quilts - maybe one day. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!