Right after the ultrasound when we found out Kitty would be a girl my husband took me to the quilt shop. We found this darling pink heart minky on clearance and bought it for our baby girl.
I planned to use it on the back of a baby quilt. What could go on the front except more hearts? I used the nine inch finished heart block from Cluck Cluck Sew because I could use some five inch scrap strips to make some hearts.
I started with twelve hearts and could either add a border or more blocks to make it big enough. More blocks won. I tested out some more colors on the design wall.
I liked it so I sewed them up.
I chose an ombre layout and tested it in gray scale.
Lets just say that there was frequent switching of blocks for a few days. This is the layout I ended up liking the best. After awhile I added the one inch finished sashing.
Then it got loaded on the quilt frames. I decided on simple stipple quilting, hoping that the hearts on the backing would still show.
Most of the time I load minky on the frames with the selvages perpendicular to the roller bars. This time I loaded the minky with the selvages along the bars. I didn't realize how stretchy this minky was that way, so the edges rippled once I took it off the frames.
Oh well, Kitty doesn't care. The hearts made her happy. (She really does like brightly colored fabric, just like her mama.)
I added a light pink cotton binding (late at night) and called it good enough.
The hearts are hard to see on the back, but it is my hope that over time the quilting will sink into the plush minky and they will show some more.
The quilt looks darling in Kitty's mostly pink bedroom.
I am happy it is done and can be enjoyed by Kitty now.