Tuesday, November 22, 2022

My New WISP



I haven't done any hand quilting since I got the longarm in 2017.  The last thing I hand quilted was my mother's lone star which I finished for her.  When I saw this darling hexie flower fabric by Corey Yoder I knew I found my next hand quilting project.  I like to call it my WISP or Work In Slow Progress.  

I bought 2 1/8 yards of the 60 inch wide hexie fabric and 4 1/4 yards of the yellow print for the backing and binding.  This would give me a quilt that is about 60 inches by 72 inches.  I got a little more than 72 inches of the hexie fabric to give me some wiggle room when squaring up the quilt.  

I basted it on the long arm with an extremely large meander and two stitches per inch.  


It did not take long at all.


I was happy to find some white hand quilting thread with my specialty threads.


I quilted my first flower that day.  


And then I kept going.


I was once taught that you should start quilting in the middle and work your way out to the edges of the quilt.  However, I believe that if your quilt is well basted that you can start anywhere.  So, I quilted all of the edge flowers first.


I learned that your quilt doesn't have to be on the frames for a small child to play under it.  


I also learned that I am getting older.  I now need some reading glasses to see to thread the needles!


Once I got the edge flowers all quilted I trimmed the quilt and added the binding.  


I estimate that I have already quilted 1/3 of the quilt.  


I love how it is looking!


I also love that when I am finished with the hand quilting I won't have to finish the edges.  

XX,
Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. Very smart to get the edges finished and bound! I always struggle with longer term projects like this and the inevitable fuzz the batting gets everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!