Monday, September 19, 2022

Panda's Ocean Quilt


I gave both of the girls quilts for Christmas in 2019.  So after a year I decided the boys needed new quilts too.  This is an ocean inspired quilt I made for Panda.  With all of the craziness happening in 2020 he found the sound of ocean waves very peaceful.  I was hoping to add to that peace with the quilt.  This quilt was inspired by one made by Connie Kresin.

I found five blue and teal wave fabrics for the quilt at my local quilt shop.  


I used the AccuQuilt Qube dies and not the BOB.  I think it was a better use of my fabric that way.  


I had fun stacking up the fabrics as I was cutting everything out.  1000 pieces total for 50 blocks.  


I made two test blocks.  


Then chain piecing became my friend.  


The quilt only uses 48 of the 50 blocks.  Two extras made arranging them on the design wall easier.  


I was so happy when the quilt top was all finished!


Trimming the threads off the back of the quilt is my least favorite part of the process.  But it is so important on a blue and white quilt.


My local quilt shop had one of the blue wave fabrics in an extra wide backing.  


It was perfect! 


I quilted it on the Q24 with a more open spiral.  I think it feels more like white caps.  


I finished the quilting late at night and got the binding on the next day while Panda was at school.  


The binding is the darkest blue wave fabric.  


Panda loves his quilt!


And it looks great on his bed.  


It is always a pleasant surprise to find his bed made with all the extra quilts and blankets folded. I think he sleeps under about seven blankets and quilts every night.  He loves the weight.  

This quilt finishes at 72 by 96 inches.  It was my first finish of 2021.

XX,
Jasmine 

4 comments:

  1. The fabrics you found for this quilt are just perfect! I love how everything fits the theme of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finish. The backing and quilted waves are perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is a pretty quilt. I agree some BOB's just have a little more fabric waste. What size was your finished block, did you use dies from a certain cube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who just woke up from sleeping under 4 quilts (the weight is so nice), I can imagine that 7 quilts must be a bit heavy! It's a beautiful quilt and I love that you were able to find one of the front prints in a wideback for the backing.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!