Thursday, September 22, 2022

The I Spy Sick Quilt


One day I found a video done by Karen of Just Get it Done Quilts where she talked about using ugly fabric to make a quilt that would be used in the hospital or when the family was sick.  I didn't feel like using ugly fabric, but I thought it would be fun to use my novelty scraps to make a sick quilt.  (I have been known to pull all the nice quilts off the beds when my kids are sick.  A fun replacement quilt is a great idea.)

When I pulled out the novelty fabric box full of scraps and leftovers, I realized that I had enough to just cut five inch squares for the quilt.  


I did cut some five inch squares from my regular stash of red, orange, blue, green, and purple.  Some almost solids helped tone down how busy this quilt is.  After piecing the squares together I added a skinny border which was left over from a dragon border print.  


In the interest of using things up, I zigzagged the batting together after laying it out over the quilt top.  


My long arm was being serviced, so I quilted it on the Tiara.  I still love this machine!


The backing is a flat fold ultra fuzzy blue minky I bought.  I didn't inspect it closely when purchasing it and later found that there were pink dye spots mixed in with the blue.  Oh, well.  Stains are to be expected on a sick quilt.  


The kids enjoyed making minky angels and skating across it bare footed even before I got the binding on.  



It was quilted with a large stipple.  



I'm so glad I made this quilt.  It used what I already had and has brought much fun and comfort to our home.  


Kitty loves to find Pikachu.


Believe me, this quilt has definitely fulfilled its purpose as a sick quilt.  I have no idea how many times it has been puked on in a year and a half.  


Because it is a sick quilt, I wash it in hot water.  Some of the blues have bled onto one of the whites, but it is still perfect.  I need to make at least one more sick quilt to keep in the rotation.  I will be sure to find the silkiest fuzziest minky I can.  

XX,
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. What a perfect use for the minky with the pink spots on it. And such a smart idea; I'd never heard of a sick quilt before but it makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to make sick quilts, you might start a new trend!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!