Friday, September 9, 2022

Cookie Crumbs

 

This is my Christmas quilt which I named Cookie Crumbs, because it has whole cookies (fabric squares) and the crumbs (small scraps) put together to make a quilt I love.  I finished it in November 2020.  This quilt used almost all of my Christmas fabric yardage and scraps.  The only scraps I had left were fine to sort into their color scrap drawers.  


These drawers are part of a tower I got at Michaels.  I love how the color of scraps matches the color of the drawer.  


I started out making different kinds of scrap blocks based on the scraps I had in my Christmas fabric box.  I found it very helpful using the AccuQuilt 6.5 inch square die to square up the blocks.  


My scrap blocks included crumb blocks. scrap vortex blocks, quarter square log cabins, fence rail blocks, string blocks, and more.  I thought about placing the blocks around a Christmas Tree panel I bought on clearance.  


I decided I didn't like that, so I cut it up into more 6.5 inch squares.  This was definitely a project that evolved as I went along.  


It was becoming rather busy, so I decided to cut the rest of my Christmas yardage and use more whole 6.5 inch squares.  It was becoming an even larger quilt and I pulled out the third section of my modular design wall.  Most of the time I just use two sections because adding the third blocks the walkway.  


After putting up the whole 6.5 inch squares, I filled in with the scrappy blocks.  


Still busy, but I love it!  I got all those 6.5 inch squares sewn together and laid it on the floor.  


Then it was time for the golden cream border.  


The border really brightens it up and makes the quilt finish at 96 inches square.  


I bought three yards of a 108'' wide fabric and quilted it on the Bernina Q24.  I quilted it with my favorite loopy spiral.  The busy quilt needed a simple quilting design.  


Here it is before adding the binding.  I think the colors are the most accurate in this picture.  I bound the quilt in the leftover red fabric from the backing and took some pictures outside.  




It glowed in the late afternoon sun.  Then I took it into my bedroom to try it out on the bed.  


And there it stayed! What a great use of all of those scraps and leftover yardage.  It is no secret that I love seasonal quilts.  

XX,
Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic way to use up those scraps. And I spy a wall hanging in the last photo that shows the panel got put to good use, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!