Thursday, October 27, 2022

Four Custom Quilts


In April 2022 my husband's boss once again asked me to make some quilts for clients.  This time they wanted four identical quilts to congratulate a client for 80 years in business.  It is a family owned business and so they wanted a quilt for each family member working there.  The requested colors were to match their logo and their website.  I told them I would need two months to make four quilts.  I decided to keep them simple and make twenty inch star blocks.  


 My quilts were inspired by Missouri Star Quilt Company's Dashing Star.  I just used a different method (the AccuQuilt) and a smaller block.  My stars are twenty inches, my sashing two and a half inches, and my borders five inches.  So these quilts are big finishing about 80 by 102 inches.  Once my design was approved I went shopping for the fabric.   


I decided to make some medium with dark stars and some medium with light stars for added dimension.  Each quilt would have two stars of each fabric combo.  Here is my first block.  


I cut out and pieced all eight stars of each fabric combo at a time and kept updating my design wall.  


I enjoyed the view out my window as I pressed and pressed.  


That way all four quilt tops were finished within a couple days of each other.


They were all quilted on the Bernina Q24 with a 90 inch wide blue minky backing.  


They were all quilted with the same loopy spiral design.  


Then they were all bound by machine in navy blue.


They all received labels hand stitched to the backs (not pictured).


Then they were all photographed.  


Seriously, if you've seen one you've seen them all.


Except I couldn't make them all exactly identical.  They all have a different shade of blue minky on the back.


And they all have a different navy blue print binding.  


I'm such a rebel.  ;)


While I asked for two months to make all four quilts, I actually finished them in less than five weeks.  That even included breaks in the middle to make my giant purple log cabin.  

I believe these quilts were a big hit.  One of the recipients told my husband he uses his quilt every day.  That's the best compliment a quilt can receive--to be used and loved.

XX,
Jasmine

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that really is the best compliment a quilt can receive, Jasmine. I love that the tops are identical but the minky and binding for each one is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work Jasmine! So fun that you made each one just a tad different with different backing and binding fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! FOUR big quilts in FIVE weeks? Incredible, Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!