Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Yellow 9 Patch


I fell in love with an antique yellow nine patch quilt I once saw online and decided to make one for me.  This was made with a yellow ombre fabric which I bought when a local quilt shop was closing a few years ago.  

I cut out the width of fabric strips and was careful to keep each block with the same dark/light level.  


There is not a lot of change in the value, but it is noticeable.  


I decided to lay the quilt out with the darker blocks in the center.  


That was in March 2021.  It wasn't until the next March that I finished the quilt.  All in one day.  (My husband was home taking care of the kids.)


I pieced the quilt top.


I quilted it with paisleys and spirals.


And took it off the long arm.


I even did the binding late that night.  


Yay for a fast finish that took over a year.  Kind of ironic.


I love this yellow nine patch quilt.



I especially loved having it on my bed last spring.  


It is another quilt pattern I could see myself wanting to have in every color of the rainbow.

XX,
Jasmine

7 comments:

  1. This is a perfect quilt for ombre fabric! I have some in my stash that I didn't know what to do with so I think I'll put this on my list. If I didn't know better, I would say yours was an antique quilt. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt. I love yellow and white together. I can easily see this in all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use of ombre fabric! Sounds like you had a really fun day of quilting last spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I noticed was the shading darker in the middle and getting lighter as it went out. I have never played with ombre fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another great quilt, and the quilting just makes it. Love the fade you got with the ombré fabric. Love the irony in the making of this quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much! How much of the ombre fabric did you use for the quilt and what is the finished size of the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! These are six inch blocks. The center of the quilt finishes at 54 x 66 inches. I added a two inch white border, so my quilt finishes 58 x 70 inches with 50 nine patch blocks.

      Five 2.5 inch strips plus the white is enough for 16 blocks. That is 3/8 yard of ombré fabric. In 1 1/8 yards of ombré fabric there is enough for 48 blocks. (I got the last two blocks out of leftovers from another quilt where I used this ombré fabric.) 1.5 yards of ombré fabric is enough for 64 blocks.

      I hope that helps! Please email me directly if yo have more questions. :)

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!