Monday, October 10, 2022

Custom Ocean Waves Quilt

 

I was so tired after finishing my October bed quilt that I didn't do any quilting for a month.  Then one day I decided I needed something fun and new to work on to motivate me.  Ignoring my four quilts already cut out and started, I pulled out my pink scraps to start another improv log cabin quilt. This one has 30 blocks to make a lap quilt.  


That very afternoon I got a phone call from my husband.  He told me that his boss was asking if I could make a custom quilt for the CFO of one of their big clients who was retiring at the end of December.  He said he knew I hadn't been quilting for awhile and it was Christmastime, but wondered if I thought I could handle that.  He also said they would like another one for someone retiring in January.  Starting the new pink quilt helped me so much that I said I would do it.  I had three weeks to finish the first quilt.  

I went shopping the next day while my husband worked from home to watch Kitty.  I learned that the gentleman who was retiring loved the ocean.  What would be more perfect than a traditional ocean wave quilt block.  This was my original fabric pull.  


After getting home I realized I had 13 fabrics.  Each block would have twelve blue/gray half square triangles.  To make things easier I eliminated one fabric (the third blue on the left).  That way each block would have one of each print in a random order.  

I cut out all 1,152 triangles with my mom's Accuquilt.  It was the three inch finished half square triangle die.  Cutting out the dark and the light together saves a lot of time lining up pieces.  Here they all are.  


I mostly pieced two blocks at a time to keep chain piecing.  Here are the first two.  


I loved laying the quilt blocks on my design floor and watching the quilt grow. 


The pinwheels where four blocks meet are my favorite.  


The AccuQuilt lived up to its name.  My points turned out pretty good.  I don't think I would have attempted this pattern without the AccuQuilt.  Soon I had the whole quilt top pieced.  


I added a white border to make it a little bigger and make sure none of the points were cut off with the binding. Then it was on to my least favorite part: cutting stray threads on the back.


 I backed it with an extra wide and plush minky backing and quilted it on the Bernina Q24.  


I love the simple texture from the loopy spiral. 


I got the binding on quickly after trimming all the minky fuzz.


Then I had to admire it in my studio.  It looked so pretty by my mini pinwheel quilt.


I took a few more pictures before sending it to work with my husband.




This quilt finishes about 80 x 104 inches and looked beautiful on Bunny's full size bed.  I may need to make a green and white ocean wave quilt for my bed sometime.  

While I had three weeks to finish this quilt, I was able to get it done in ten days.  I'm grateful it was done early so I could enjoy more of the Christmas season without stress.

XX,
Jasmine

6 comments:

  1. What! You cut all the stray threads before you quilt it? Yikes - I've never done that! I do get a few threads now and then behind the white fabric, but I use a teeny tiny crochet hook to pull them out through the top while I am quilting. It's a beautiful blue and white quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed that you were able to get that done in 10 days! I wouldn't want to do that without Accuquilt either! Beautiful work. Did you do another for them in January then? I hope you got paid handsomely;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm impressed you were able to get it done in 10 days; that's a lot of HSTs and piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, Jasmine! You did a great job with the fabics and colors. It does look super cute with the pinwheel quilt on the wall. The retiree is going to be happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I find myself loving antique style quilts lately.

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!