Thursday, October 13, 2022

Custom Winter Jewel Box


This is the second quilt I made at the request of my husband's boss.  It was for one of their clients who was retiring.  She loves winter and snowmen so I chose to make a blue and white jewel box quilt.  It is made from eight inch blocks and finishes about 76 by 92 inches.  

This is the fabric I purchased for the quilts.  I bought 20 blue fat quarters for the blocks.  With there being 80 blocks I knew a fat quarter was enough for the equivalent of four blocks with some left over.  


I cut out both the half square triangles and the four patch squares out with the AccuQuilt.


Here are all the pieces for the 80 blocks.  


This is my first block (sewn scrappy style.)


I decided to swirl the seams on the four patches and the blocks.


That way all the seams still nested when sewing the blocks together.


I got a wool pressing mat for Christmas and must say that I love it.  It makes pressing the blocks without steam so easy.  And my blocks are nice and flat.  I sewed up the 80 blocks and laid them on my design floor.  


Then I added the two borders.  


Cutting the extra threads off the back is tedious but so important on a blue and white quilt.  


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with a 90 inch wide minky backing.  


I think pointed spiral quilting is so elegant.  


Then I trimmed the quilt and got the binding on.


I love how this quilt turned out and would like to make a green and white quilt similar to it for me.  




I still finished this quilt in less than a month even though her retirement ended up being postponed until April.  

XX,
Jasmine

5 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt and my wish is that she is sending you love and thanks every time she enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blue and white quilts, so why haven't I made any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so beautiful about a blue and white quilt, Jasmine. I'm not even a "blue person", but I absolutely LOVE this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! I've done blue and white with Bonnie Hunter's Winter Blues pattern. Now I think I will do this jewel box in those colors. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you like it. Bonnie Hunter’s patterns are beautiful. I bet your Winter Blues quilt is amazing.

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!