Friday, November 25, 2022

Donation Quilts


I made this quilt in 2020 and always planned on donating it somewhere.  But I hadn't given it away yet.  I was browsing on Instagram last month and found a post encouraging people who have lots of quilts in their home to find one to donate to somewhere like a hospice organization. I thought about it and decided I wanted to find a hospice organization to donate it to.  

I was my grandmother's full time caregiver when she was 90 years old.  My oldest son was just a year old when we moved in with her.  I took care of her for 18 months and the last four months of her life she was on hospice.  They gave her a beautiful crocheted afghan which I remember fondly.  I wanted to provide something like that for someone else.  

While I pondered how I could contact a hospice organization I had an "aha moment" which was more like a "well duh moment."  My sister is a home health and hospice nurse!  I asked her if her work would accept donations of quilts.  She talked to her boss and her boss said yes.  While her place of work has been in business for over 25 years, they have only been working with hospice patients for the last three years.  Covid hit shortly after they were getting settled for hospice patients and things have been crazy since then, so my quilts would be the first they received.  

I thought about some quilts I had and decided to also donate another one that had only ever been used folded on the shelf or hanging on the wall.  It is this Springtime Kisses quilt I made in 2013.   


Before giving them to my sister I took some pictures outside.  



That was actually the day my husband added the hooks to the inside of the arbor.  So here is a peek at two ways I can hang  quilts with a rod on the hooks.  

1.  The rod can go over the hooks.  


2.  The hooks can go through the holes in my rod.


Bunny thinks the bench under the arbor is a great place to hide when I am taking pictures.


Just for fun, here is a wide angle picture of where the arbor is in my backyard.


It really adds a nice focal point along the fence.  

It felt so good to donate the two quilts that I decided to go through some other quilts.  These ten quilts are either practically brand new or very gently used.  


I had my husband take them to the United Way drop off for the local Women and Children's crisis center.  They like bed size quilts.  Six of these are bed quilts and four are baby quilts.  I hope they can bring comfort to some struggling families.

I know I am going to keep making quilts, and I haven't missed any of them since giving them away.  Although a jean quilt that is not a rag quilt is on my bucket list now.  

XX,
Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure those quilts are going to mean a lot to the people who receive them, Jasmine. And thanks for the photos of how the hook system works on the Arbor; very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always such a good feeling to donate to worthy causes. I really miss making a bunch of donation quilts, perhaps I will get time to do a few this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might consider a cancer center also. As patients sit and receive chemo for hours a quilt keeps them warm and comforts them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, Leslie. I have donated to Happy Chemo before, but it has been a few years.

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!