Thursday, November 10, 2022

Nephew Quilt for T


This quilt is for my nephew T.  You can probably tell that his favorite color is red.  I bought a really thick minky for his quilt back for some extra warmth.  I decided to keep both the piecing and quilting simple to go with it.  One of my favorite quilts to piece is a chunky race quilt.  (Here are my calculations for chunky race quilts.)

Knowing I would be making three red quilts I decided to buy 16 half yard cuts of various reds at my local quilt shop to enhance my red stash.  Here are the 16 fabrics I added.


Here they are with the rest of my red stash.


I decided to stick with reds which weren't as busy for this quilt. 


The quilt top was very fast to piece.  


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with a simple stipple.  



I like to keep the quilting simple when I use the really plush minky fabrics.  


I trimmed the quilt and then had to decide what I wanted to use for binding.  


The backing fabric was an 80 inch wide minky and I realized that I could use up the extra backing as the binding.  I have never bound a quilt with a cotton top and minky backing with minky before.  However, my friend Mischelle sometimes does it.  She cuts her minky 2 inches wide so that is what I did.  Minky fabric doesn't fray.  It is just like giving the fabric a hair cut.  Once you get rid of the extra fluff that was trimmed off it has a clean edge.  I sewed the binding to the back first.  


Then I folded it over to the front and stitched it down with the triple zig zag stitch.  


It is the softest binding I have ever done.  


You have probably guessed by now that my nephew's name is Tyler.  ;)  I think he is going to love this quilt.  


I added the quilt to my stack of nephew and niece quilts and later took some photos outside.  





I love how it sparkles in the sun.



Chunky race quilts are so much fun to make.  I think I could make a whole rainbow collection of them.  

My sister K is coming over to sew with me today. I’m going to have her take this quilt for her son. She will definitely see him before I do. 

XX,
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. Maybe making rainbow chunky race quilts should be your goal for next year! So doesn't the minky leave tons of fuzz all over, or you have a secret for working with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, minky binding is going to make this quilt extra special for your nephew!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!