Friday, November 18, 2022

Nephew Quilt for J


This quilt is for my nephew J.  He told me that he was partial to "blues and greens especially in the dark cyan and aqua ranges."  This sparked an interesting conversation with my art teacher sister who told me that cyan is a mathematically defined color.  I had thought it was more tealish, by my sister explained it was much more bluish with a little bit of a green tint.  I did the best I could with the fabric I had, selecting fabric in the blues and greens color ways.  This was my original fabric pull. A lot of the blue fabrics were scraps from the jewel box quilt I made and from the ocean quilt I made my son.  


I narrowed it down to twelve bluish fabrics, twelve sea greenish fabrics, and twelve lights.  


I used Amanda Jean's fence rail quilt for my inspiration.  My blocks finish at nine inches with pieces cut out at 3.5 by 9.5 inches.  


The quilt top came together very quickly.  


Then it had to wait for aqua minky backing while I worked on a couple other projects.  After finishing his brother M's quilt, I quilted it on the Bernina Q24.


I quilted it with my favorite loopy spiral.


The only cotton fabric I had to buy was the cyan-ish binding.  


Once it was finished I had to test it out on my August bed quilt.  


It blends nicely with my quilt.  There may or may not be a similar quilt for myself made sometime.  I didn't keep it on my bed for long.  It joined the other niece and nephew quilts in my studio in September.  


Then in the middle of October I took some photos of the quilt outside.  







Earlier this month I called my mother and found out that J was visiting her.  I live just four miles away and asked him to stop by to pick up a surprise gift.  He came right over and was so excited about his new quilt. I told him that it was like a quilty hug and when he used it to remember that he will always be loved.  

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Oh Scrap this Sunday.  You can visit the linky party and see what other quilters are making with their scraps.

3 comments:

  1. I love that J is so sure of his favorite color(s). You did a beautiful job making something he's going to enjoy being wrapped up in. I hope he remembers what you told him and thinks of it every time he uses the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great quilt - I love the colors! Nephew J is one lucky guy! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!