Saturday, November 5, 2022

Red Roselyn Quilt


This is my Red Roselyn quilt.  A lot of the fabrics are from the Roselyn line by Minick and Simpson, but other fabrics are mixed in.  I bought it as a kit for a lattice quilt at my local quilt shop with my birthday money.  I bought the pattern to go with it, but then decided the lattice quilt was not me.  So I changed it up.  

I first cut out the border and some five inch squares.  I laid them on the design wall.  


I didn't like how it looked.  So I added the cream fabric as an inner border.  


I like that much better and continued to lay out the whole quilt on my design wall.  


I got that far by the end of June.  But then I stalled.  I couldn't decide if I liked the layout of not.  However, every time I tried to shift fabrics around I ran into issues of similar fabrics too close.  That is one reason why I don't buy one fabric line very often.  The same prints can come in multiple colors. 

It sat on my design wall for a whole month.  Luckily Mischelle came by.  She thought it looked good, but said if I didn't like it I could arrange it in diagonal rows.  I ended up just deciding to sew it like it was and not worry about value and print distribution.  The top came together in a day or two.  


Every step of the quilting process always looks better than the one before.  I like how the layout is random now.  

I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with a cream thread.  It is the design Stitched by Susan calls filaments.  My cream thread blended so well with the prints that I had to play with the lighting to see where I had already quilted.  I ended up turning off the overhead light, closing the window, and turning on the long arm lights.  

 
The light coming from behind made it so much easier to see.  


Susan calls it filaments, but the design reminds me of eyelets and lace.  It was my first time quilting it on a pieced quilt, but I did try it out on a couple of the baby blankets I made earlier.  


When I bind quilts I use both my cutting table and a bar stool to help hold the quilt up.  That way I am not wrestling with the quilt too much.  


I love a finished quilt!  (Especially when it took me so long to decide on a simple layout.)


After finishing it, I quickly put it on my sofa to enjoy it.  


Then I changed my July decorations to just red and white to match.  


I kept this quilt on the sofa through September and enjoyed many cuddles and a few naps under it.


Later I took some pictures outside.  



(I think I need a class of some sort on how to elegantly drape quilts on benches.)


I am so glad I spent my birthday money on this quilt kit and did my own thing with it.

XX,
Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. Perfect choice to add a small cream border before the final border. Quilting can be hard on the eyes sometimes, sounds like you found a way to make it work. I'm glad you decided to finish it up as is; it looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you could also use this one for Valentine's Day! I think your draping photos are wonderful! But I know what you mean I have problems draping also. When I can't see where I am going with quilting, I too turn off all lights, pull shades and I have a side light I use in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one, and the randomness of the layout. It keeps your eye roving around the quilt. Did you free-motion the motif? I think so, and I love it. Must try it on a future quilt! I think you draped it on the bench just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS meant to add the red and white for July would be perfect for my country's birthday on July 1 lol

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!