Saturday, November 12, 2022

Vintage August


I showed a few pictures of this quilt when I started blogging again in September, but I thought it still deserved its own post in chronological order.  I purchased the fabric a few years ago as a kit from Craftsy.  It was for a beautiful medallion quilt, Glorious Dawn, designed by Myra of Busy Hands Quilts.  I had every intention of making that beautiful quilt.  However, Panda was looking through the pattern one day.  He said, "This doesn't look like you." The rest of the family agreed.  So I changed my plan.  

This pattern is from Camille Roskelley's book Simply Retro.  It is the Vintage pattern.  I just added four more blocks, sashing, and borders.  My quilt is actually king size finishing at 104 by 104 inches.  I started out sewing one test block.  


I changed the background a little bit from her instructions and used quarter square triangles (5" finished) and half square triangles (3" finished) as the setting triangles for each block.  That made it so the edges of the blocks were not cut on the bias.  It also saved a lot of fabric.  


I even used one of the strip dies to cut out the blue and green pieces.  


The strips cut out very quickly that way.  


I was extra careful cutting out the fat quarters so that I could keep a 2.5 inch strip of each fabric for my scraps.  I love analogous color schemes.   


Another day I cut out all of the background fabric with the AccuQuilt.


But I didn't enjoy piecing these blocks as much.  So it sat on the shelf while I pieced two and a half more quilt tops.  After sewing some plus quilt blocks I got the urge to finish this quilt.  I did assembly line construction and finished the remaining 15 blocks at the same time.  


These are big blocks!


I had to lay them all out in the family room to determine a layout I liked.  


Then I could finish the quilt top. 


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with a light blue 108" wide backing.


It was so pretty when I took it off the rails.


I decided to use the last bit of the cream background fabric as a binding.  


I took one picture of the whole thing while standing on the stairs. 


Then I enjoyed having it on my bed for a month. 



I am so grateful I stuck with it and finished this quilt!

XX,
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors, looks to me like the kit was meant to be this quilt;) Is this quilt yours to keep? What size strip cutter did you use? I am contemplating making one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart to sew up a test block and make more efficient use of your fabric (and avoid bias edges, yuck)! It looks wonderful on your bed; I'm glad you stuck with it, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!